myTaste.com
ll Cibo é L'essenza Della Vita....

"The rooms that you use on a daily basis are the rooms people will always want to sit in, because they have soul." --Bunny Williams

“VIVERE SENZA RIMPIANTI” LIVE WITHOUT REGRETS

"If you want to live forever and ever, drink wine and eat maccheroni." ~~~Sicilian Proverb

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter Week- another Reality post!



Patiently waiting....


 In an Italian household, Easter week is right up there with Christmas week in terms of tradition and food. The kitchen is a mess and a whirlwind of activity with the kids home for Spring break and right in the thick of things. Unfortunately, this makes blogging just a bit more difficult. Things may be sporadic this week and I apologize. Forget about getting a decent picture- we're lucky if I manage to get an actual meal made to eat NOW- everything is in preparation for the weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the Torta Pasqualina done on Thursday for a Foodie Friday post- no promises! Still to do: Easter breads, Ricotta cheesecake ala Mrs. R. (my grandma's neighbor always brought us a wonderful ricotta cheesecake for the holidays and now I do my best to replicate it for my Dad), Torta Rustica, a birthday cake for my eldest son, candies, and so on and so forth...

Please try not to notice the pots in the drainboard that were supposed to be put away BEFORE this picture was taken.


Raw eggs being dyed for Easter breads. In the background is a gift to me- Allie's first attempt at oil painting


It seems I'm running to the market twice a day!


        Last night in the midst of the chaos, a friend came over to make some candies. There was leftover chicken parmesan for hubby and kids, but she and I opted to throw together a fresh pasta dish that I've served her in the past. This is one of those that can be on the table in the time it takes to boil the pasta- LOVE that!
We've started to get the table set..hopefully I'll be able to finish tomorrow in time for Tablescape Thursday. Again- no promises :)




     This recipe originally caught my eye because using an egg on hot pasta was something my Nonna did frequently. I recently read in a very upscale foodie periodical that this is the latest "trend". I always knew that my Nonna was a woman ahead of her time.
    Be forewarned- this is a dish with strong flavors- really a pasta for grownups. That being said, it can also be infinitely adaptable. For meeker palates simply cut back just a bit on the anchovies (please do not omit completely- it would be tragic), and substitute baby spinach or arugala for the stronger radicchio.  For us, we enjoy the recipe as is- I am a lover of bitter greens such as broccoli rabe and radicchio and my friend cleaned her plate.



Egg Pappardelle With Bagna Cauda, Wilted Radicchio and an Olive-Oil-Fried Egg
adapted from Nancy Silverton's book~ A Twist of the Wrist
Serves 2-3 hungry people
For the pappardelle and bagna cauda:
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
12-15 anchovy fillets ( I used 2 tins: 1 1/2 would be fine)
8 large garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
12 radicchio leaves, torn into small pieces ( I used most of a small head)
Grated zest and juice of half a lemon
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces egg pappardelle
For finishing the dish:*** see note
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 large eggs
Parmesan cheese
1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
 Make the bagna cauda- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, anchovies and garlic and cook on very low heat, breaking up the anchovies with a fork and stirring constantly, until the anchovies dissolve and the garlic is soft and fragrant. Turn off the heat, stir in the parsley, radicchio and lemon zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Be careful with the salt as the anchovies can be salty- make sure you taste
 Prepare the pasta by bringing a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add enough kosher salt until the water tastes salty and return to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
 To finish the dish, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat until the oil is almost smoking, about 2 minutes. Break 1 egg into a small bowl and pour into the skillet. When it just begins to set around the edges, break the second egg into the bowl and pour into the skillet. (By waiting a moment before adding the next egg, the eggs won’t stick together.) Repeat with the remaining 2 eggs. Cook until the edges are golden, the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
**NOTE- I fried the egg in a skillet sprayed with PAM- I do not care for eggs fried in olive oil- this is a personal preference
 Use tongs to lift the pasta out of the water and transfer it quickly, while it’s dripping with water, to the skillet with the bagna cauda. This is important- do not drain the pasta in a colander. The starchy water on the strands is needed to coat the pasta. Place the skillet over high heat. Toss the pasta to combine the ingredients and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
 Using tongs, divide the pasta among 4 plates, twisting it into mounds. Grate a generous layer of cheese over each. Place an egg over the cheese. Sprinkle the parsley over the pasta and serve with more grated cheese and pepper.
When you break the yolk, it will coat the pasta with a rich, creamy, golden sauce

As Always,

Buon Alimenti, Buon Amici,

Pattie and Allie


19 comments:

  1. I think you're Superwoman:)I can't believe everything you get done..

    OK..except for the dishes drying:)

    Your daughter's artwork is lovely..and all the decorations too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm impressed you've done all that. We've been eating out! LOL! Allie's painting is gorgeous too. I'm w/ Nana above, I don't know how you do it all. If I had your 'to do' list, I'd run away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't able to comment this morning..something to do with Google, so not worry...but everything is looking pretty delicious here in preparation for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful table setting for Easter dinner! The color of the napkins and plates is so pretty. Your food is sure to be delectable.
    Have a Happy Easter,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Allie her painting is beautiful! I just love looking a your tablescapes! Looks and sounds like it is going to be a wonderful Easter at your home! Happy Easter!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You go girl. You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful table..i love the pasta with the egg on top..hubby would devour this!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your beautiful table setting for Easter dinner! Your food is so delicious.Have a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another scrumptious dinner, served on a beautiful table setting. You are amazing and should be in a food magazine...

    xoxoxoxo
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Easter table looks beautiful! (I think we may have the same dining room chairs!). The recipe for the Eggs Pappardelle sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Allie's painting! Great job for a first attempt.

    What pretty decorations and your recipe looks delicious! There is a salad served at a local French restaurant that serves a an egg on top of greens and the yolk helps 'dress' the salad. It's delicious and I can imagine how wonderful this tastes too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your house looks so festive. I love the bunnies. I think I am going to have to try this pasta dish. My second son prefers anchovies on his pizza over all other toppings, so he would love the strong flavors in this meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks wonderful. I can only imagine how busy you must be. Everything looks quite festive. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks lovely! Have a wonderful Easter!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is allie, after reading through the post, and all of your wonderful comments, i realized my mom made a mistake, the painting was acrylic, not oil . haha theres a big difference, two completely different paints, i dont know how she confused it haha
    thank you for all the compliments, i greatly appreciate them :]
    <3allie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your table is so pretty! I love every bit of it.

    Two of our g'babies will be here tomorrow, for egg coloring. We are having our gathering and egg hunt, Saturday.

    I picked up pappardelle egg noodles at Trader Joe's the other day. I just served them with butter and fresh grated parmesan. It was very good, but I'm going to try your recipe next time. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty table and again your dishes are so gorgeous. Love the Egg Pappardelle With Bagna Cauda!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous posts pictures and recipes to celebrate Easter, thanks for sharing your celebration with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Well ladies, I am most impressed! The food! The table! The bunnies! The cookies! The oil painting! Everything is incredible and beautiful! Can I come to your house for Easter?! My first visit and it won't be the last! God Bless! Lauralu :)

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments and it's a great way to lead us to your home! Thanks for visiting!